Oh, hey America! Welcome back to work -- hope you enjoyed the holiday. Most of us are now embarking on a weird, two-day week, terribly hungover and full of hot dogs. But, America -- specifically, Brooklyn -- someone still has to have the fun. Otherwise, it was all for nought when George Washington and Abraham Lincoln fought off the British vampires using fireworks. Welcome to Whassup: Still America Edition:
* Thursday, July 5: CasHank Hootenanny Jamboree, Freddy's: Keep the America, Fuck Yeah! going with South Slope's best participatory Americana jam session. Johnny Cash, Hank Williams (CasHank, get it?), and other old country standards belted out by host Alex Battles, any and all other musicians -- and you! 8pm, FREE.
* Friday, July 6: Weekly Music Kick-Off, 5th Estate: Another South Slope venue, Fifth Estate, launches a weekly showcase for local musicians, with veterans of similar gatherings at Roots Cafe and Bar 4. Come lend an ear. Every time you support a local musician, another joke about Park Slope as a boring suburbia dies. 7pm-1am, FREE.
* Saturday, July 7: First Park Slope Film Festival, Two Moon Cafe: You know, I'd like to give this effort a word of promotion. Sounds like a cool idea -- the first-ever Park Slope Film Festival. But take a look at the website. No schedule, no times (as of now). Maybe that's to come. Keep an eye out if you're filmy. [UPDATE: You can find more info about the film festival in this article. The event kicks off at 7PM and will showcase 6 short films by independent filmmakers, FREE.]
* Sunday, July 8: Ice Cream Takedown, Bell House: After taking his amateur food competitions on the road for a few months, Matt Timm's Takedowns are back at the Bell House! And it's ice cream, oh ye sufferers of heat waves. Thirty folks will tempt you with homemade creams, and it's up to you to vote for the awesomest. Basically, your mouth wins, though. 2pm, $15.
* Tuesday, July 10: Whiskey Coke Anniversary Reading, Freddy's: One year ago exactly, a gaggle of highly enthusiastic young Brooklyn writers and musicians created a monthly showcase, zine, and literary scene in Freddy's Backroom. Come listen in on the drunken fun. What do you get a reading series at it's one-year birthday? Probably whiskey. 8pm, FREE.
* Tuesday, July 10: Red Hook Summer Film Fest, Velentino Pier: Another summer, outdoor film series raises the metaphorical curtain tonight, in Red Hook, with Lost Boys heading up this year's theme of "Scary Monsters and Super Freaks." Pull up a comfy slice of grass, you super freaks. Dusk, FREE.
* Ongoing: Joan Jett, Public Enemy, More, BK Summer Concert Series: Two outdoor summer music series finally announced their lineups this week. Joan Jett, Gladys Knight and more headline The Seaside Summer Concert Series. The unquestionable highlight, though, is Public Enemy, with Salt-n-Pepa, (!!!) July 30th at the MLK Concert Series. Seaside kicks of July 12 with Gloria Gaynor and the Village People. MLK opens July 16 with Bootsy Collins (!!). 7:30pm, FREE.