With the wealth of events going on this week, we're clearly hip deep in another Brooklyn summer. Though, I suppose, if you want to get technical about it, summer doesn't begin until a week from today. Eff that ish. Rail against the tyranny of the calendar with Whassup: It's Summer Already! Edition:
* Thursday, June 14-Thursday, June 21: Northside Fest, Billiamsburg: Why should Austin get all the sprawling-festival rep when all the hipsters raving about it live in Williamsburg? Good question, which is why Northside, Brooklyn's version of the multi-venue, multi-genre cluster-fest lives in the 'burg (and Greenpoint). Catch it before it gets ultra-huge. Various times, prices.
* Thursday, June 14-Sunday, June 16: BRIC Shows, Prospect Park: Closer to your Park Slope home, Celebrate Brooklyn gets into the full summer swing this weekend, with a slate of shows at the bandshell: British folkie Laura Marling on Thursday (7pm), music and film on Friday (8pm), and the world-music hip-hop of Balkan Beat Box on Saturday (6:30pm). All FREE.
* Saturday, June 16: Atlantic Ave. Fest, Atlantic Ave: Celebrating the launch of the new Atlantic Ave. BID (Business Improvement District), here's another street fest for ya, running along Atlantic from the BQE to 4th Ave. You know the drill: tastings, demos, sales, performances, and lots of sweaty dudes in NBA jerseys. Street fair! 1-5pm, FREE.
* Sunday, June 16: BK Beerfest, Wiliamsburg Waterfront: Seventy-five brewers will vie for your taste buds' approval along the waterfront, offering sweet, sweet mugs of fermentation. Getting plastered on beer outside was never so classy. 12:30-4pm, 6pm-9:30pm (including "VIP/Connoisseur" opening sessions), $55-$125.
* Tuesday, June 19: Maude StorySLAM, Tea Lounge: The monthly open-to-the-masses story slam led by FiPS wordsmith Kerri Doherty returns with special guest Bridget O'Neill of the Soundtrack Series and other story shows. 7:30pm, FREE.
* Tuesday, June 19: Das Racist, Red Hook: Prospect Park ain't the only outdoor concert series in Brooklyn, or even in this general area of Brooklyn: Red Hook has a SummerStage series, too, and it's bound to be less stroller-tastic than Park Slopes'. Plus, Das Racist is all kinds of cool, and you can pick up some meatballs and a new flatpacked computer desk while you're in the area. 7pm, FREE.
* Wednesday, June 20: Science Double Shot: Story Collider, SSC: How much nerd can you handle, Park Slope? HOW MUCH? Two stages worth in ONE NIGHT? Let's hope so, because the Bell House and Union Hall's penchant for the geek has finally, um, collided, with two excellent science series falling on the same night.
* Story Collider, Union Hall: Moth-style storytelling puts on a lab coat, tackling the topic of people who tried and failed to conquer science. 8pm, $10 DOS.
* Secret Science Club, Bell House: Park Slope's OG science series brings back the boozy lecture and punny drink specials at Bell House, with a talk by whale dissector, Dr. Joy Reidenberg. 7:30pm, FREE.