It seems like just yesterday I was bitching about the summer heat. And, yet, could this be fall already? Honestly, it's my favorite season to bitch slightly less about. Won't you complain a little less obnoxiously about the weather with me? Welcome to Whassup: Fall Ain't Half Shitty Edition:
* Thursday, Oct. 11: Teacher Night, Community Bookstore: Teachers are awesome. Thanks to them, we learn so much: mostly, never to be a teacher because of how grossly underpaid they are. Life lessons! Anyway, to help ameliorate (probably learned that word from a teacher!) Slope-area educators' financial issues, Community Bookstore is offering 30% off on any book in the store to the chalk-besmeared masses. Then, like I know you do, you teachers can go and get hammered. 7pm.
* Thursday, Oct. 11: Words 'n' Cupcakes, LaunchPad: The Renegade Reading Series knows what you need in October: pumpkin cupcakes and spoken words. Offering cupcakes to hype up a reading series? Shameless and brilliant. Take advantage. 8pm-11pm, FREE.
* Thursday, Oct. 11: VP Debate, Bell House: How depressed are you still over the President's "performance" at the "debate" last "week?" Personally, I still have a red-white-and-blue gun emblazoned with "Hope" shoved in my mouth. Is it possible that Joe Biden, of all people, will heal these liberal psychic wounds? Let's at least hope he knocks some of the Randian smug off of Paul Ryan. Anyway, yeah, the Bell House is showing the VP debate. 9pm, FREE.
* Friday, Oct. 12-Sunday, Oct. 14: BK Country Music Fest, Jalopy: It's three nights of country, roots, and bluegrass sing-a-longs, workshops, and performances. Everything you need to heal that cowboy-hat-shaped hole in your heart. I recommend, in particular, Saturday, when one of Brooklyn's country-voicenest local talents, Alex Battles, heads up the CashHank Hootenanny Jamboree, along with a set by his own band, the Whiskey Rebellion. Start times vary from 7 to 9pm, $12 per day, $20 for three-day pass.
* Saturday, Oct. 13: Rock 'n' Roll 10K, Prospect Park: As a run-up (hey-oh) to next month's marathon, practice your shouts of encouragement at these 10K racers who will be annoyingly clogging up the park. 7:30am start.
* Monday, Oct. 15: Coworking Happy Hour, Soda Bar: The folks at Brooklyn Brainery are opening a new spot in Prospect Heights -- including coworking office space for all you dirty freelancers! This happy hour introduces the space and encourages networking/mutual complaints about how awful the moms at Tea Lounge are. 7-10pm, FREE.