Courtesy of an anonymous Brooklynian (Grand Canyon, is that you?), news of the DOH'ing of Purity Diner for some serious-sounding lapses in purity.
After a city health department inspection Tuesday, the Purity Diner was ordered closed. Violations from 08/10/2010 Inspection
Violation points: 76
Establishment Closed by DOHMH. Violations were cited in the following area(s) and those requiring immediate action were addressed.
1) Cold food item held above 41º F (smoked fish and reduced oxygen packaged foods above 38 ºF) except during necessary preparation.
2) Appropriately scaled metal stem-type thermometer or thermocouple not provided or used to evaluate temperatures of potentially hazardous foods during cooking, cooling, reheating and holding.
3) Live roaches present in facility's food and/or non-food areas.
4) Filth flies or food/refuse/sewage-associated (FRSA) flies present in facility’s food and/or non-food areas. Filth flies include house flies, little house flies, blow flies, bottle flies and flesh flies. Food/refuse/sewage-associated flies include fruit flies, drain flies and Phorid flies.
5) Hand washing facility not provided in or near food preparation area and toilet room. Hot and cold running water at adequate pressure to enable cleanliness of employees not provided at facility. Soap and an acceptable hand-drying device not provided.
6) Insufficient or no refrigerated or hot holding equipment to keep potentially hazardous foods at required temperatures.
7) Food not protected from potential source of contamination during storage, preparation, transportation, display or service.
8) Facility not vermin proof. Harborage or conditions conducive to attracting vermin to the premises and/or allowing vermin to exist.
As one pithy commenter put it, good thing they're conveniently located a stone's throw from the Methodist ER.
Never been a lover of Purity myself and I have no idea whether they deserved to get shut down but apparently they're in good company.
Ever since that unfortunate KFC-Taco Bell rat sitch, the Health Department has stepped up to the proverbial plate (shit, i'm mixing food and baseball metaphors now) and shut down everybody from DiFara's to the Stage Deli.
According to the Daily News, restaurants shuttered by the Department of Health and Hygiene were up by 27% in 2009 from the year before. You can see our own little hood's checkered record on the DOH's new site. Anthony's, which I DO like, just got a bad grade too. Meanwhile, McDonalds and Dominoes are apparently spotless with 0 violation points. Give me a fucking dive any day!
Yet another revenue booster for the city's coffers?