Information is power. And since many of us will be without power after Sandy hits, we thought we'd put together a few Hurricane Sandy fun facts. Whether you're completely ignorant, or just temporarily within a "cone of uncertainty," here are a few things you should know about Hurricane Sandy.
- A lot of people don't know this, but Hurricane Sandy is named after two-time Tony award-winning actress, Sandy Dennis ("A Thousand Clowns," "Any Wednesday")
- The Delaware National Guard has been mobilized to help residents deal with the storm, which means that if Maryland is smart, they'll launch their attack right now.
- If your neighborhood store runs out of bread, buy tortillas. Most people never realize that they can buy tortillas instead of bread, and they just walk right by the tortillas. You never hear about grocery stores running out of tortillas prior to a storm, do you? See how helpful we are?
- One of the best ways to ride out the storm is by having a massive bowel movement. That's actually what Mayor Bloomberg is talking about when he tells you to evacuate, and cautions you about the size of the surge.
- Hurricane Sandy is actually named after former US Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor.
- The reason everyone suggests that you fill your bathtub full of water before a storm is because schools will be closed today and tomorrow. After being cooped up with your kids for a couple of days, you'll probably want to drown them.
- The worst place to be during Hurricane Sandy is Staten Island. Because it's Staten Island, that's why.
- The official food of Hurricane Sandy is French Toast. That's why everyone's been stocking up on milk, eggs and bread. But don't forget to buy maple syrup!
- Hurricane Sandy is named after depth-of-field-impaired actress Sandy Duncan, because it's the storm that took over when Hurricane Valerie got fired.